Every homeowner knows how expensive roofing repairs can be, especially when it comes to needing a brand-new roof. The fact of the matter is that you can’t look at your new roof as a costly expense, you must treat it as an investment, which means you need to be careful and consider all your options before beginning a project. Make sure to avoid making these mistakes that roofing repair companies in Des Moines will warn you about.
- Improper Slope- Amateur roofers often don’t understand the importance of using materials with the correct slope for your roof. This leaves home susceptible to rain leaking inside and trapped humidity, causing rot.
- Nail Placement- You might think that nailing down some shingles will be a piece of cake, but you need to know exactly where the nails need to go. Homeowners trust you will never install your shingles wrong or damage the self-sealing strip because of improper nailing.
- Improperly Installed Flashing- Flashing needs to be installed in layers underneath the shingles, not on top of them, and the U-shape should face the valley to drain water properly. Many amateur roofers don’t understand how precise the flashing installation needs to be to protect your home from water leaks.
- Bad Ventilation- Shingles need to be installed in such a way that the attic is still able to breathe and have proper ventilation to prevent moisture, which can damage or rot the roof. Make sure not to install shingles over vents or try to move vents if you are not a professional contractor.
- Shingle Placement- There’s a lot to know about the shingle placement themselves, such as how three-tab shingles need to have a five-inch exposure; or how the overhang should hang off the edge no more than an inch and a half. Not placing the shingles correctly will lead to them being blown off or damaged easily.
Not having a professional roofing repair company from the beginning, such as Haus Roofing, can cost you more money and headache in the long run. You need a trusted company such as Haus Roofing to handle your roof repair and maintenance needs all year round.
Give Haus Roofing in Des Moines, Iowa a call to schedule your annual maintenance or roof inspection today.